Thursday, May 24, 2007

Boyhood friend vows to fight in Joseph Anzack's place

At 11 o'clock this morning, Richard Geraldo, 19, of Torrance added two candles to a memorial to his childhood friend Joe Anzack, which was created around midnight on the steps of the main entrance to South High School in Torrance.

"I set some candles down with a vow: 'I'm sorry I couldn't be there, Joe, but I'll make it up to you by going over there and doing your job,' " Geraldo said, referring to Pfc. Joseph J. Anzack Jr., the Army gunner found dead Wednesday in Iraq.

Geraldo, who was recently discharged from the Marine Corps because of a medical problem, said he was working with a recruiter to get back into the service as soon as possible.

"I'm trying to get back in. I'd go over there now if I could."

Read the rest at the LA Times

Related Link:
Report: Body identified as Joseph Anzack

Related Link:
Report: Body of one of the missing found in river

Related Link:
Dad tells of plans for father-son trip with Joseph Anzack

Related Link:
After false report of death three weeks ago, Joseph Anzack's family again praying for safe return