Saturday, March 17, 2007

Perspective: Life as a Palestinian in Iraq

A Palestinian child whose family was forced to flee to a camp near the Syrian border.

BAGHDAD, 14 March (IRIN) - Fu'ad Ahmed is a 47-year-old Palestinian father of two who has been living in Iraq for the past 18 years.

"My children grew up here [in Baghdad] and we always had good relations with all Iraqis but in the past few years my situation in this country has become terrible.

"My daughter, Hanan was married to an Iraqi but was forced to divorce him because his family didn't want to have Palestinian blood in their future children.

"My son Waleed and his wife were killed in July 2006 by militia men who accused him of participating in the insurgency but he was a good boy. Since his death my wife has developed serious psychological problems. Because I am unemployed, I cannot afford medical treatment for her."

Read the rest at Reuters/Alternet