Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Perspective: Arrested in Iraq

al-Jameat was raided by the British two days ago, to save the prisoners from execution. This cell held 70 in squalid conditions. Some had untreated gunshot wounds.

BASRA, 27 December (IRIN) - I'm a 39-year-old former prisoner of the al-Jamiyat police station in Basra, and have been severely tortured for crimes that I did not commit. I have also been a witness to some of the terrible treatment prisoners have had to suffer, and have seen many prisoners killed.

I'm a Shi'ite and have lived peacefully in Basra for more than 20 years raising my four sons aged 12, 15, 16 and 18 years. I've worked hard to be able to feed them.

Things changed two months ago when members of a militia [armed Shi'ite group] and police officers raided my home and arrested me, accusing me of being a supporter of the insurgents [the armed groups fighting the US forces and the Iraqi government].

I am sure they knew I was not an insurgent, but the real reason for arresting me was that I'm from a tribe which is against local militias, and I was one of the dozens of men arrested as revenge on our tribe.

When I reached the prison I knew that if someone didn't help me, I would die because I would not be able to survive being tortured.

Read the rest at Reuters/Alternet