Saturday, September 16, 2006

Utah Soldiers Head to Iraq

On this fifth year anniversary of 9-11, more than forty Utah National Guard soldiers are beginning their journey to Iraq.

The battalion commander says it's merely a coincidence the soldiers are leaving today on 9-11. But he says you can't help but feel the gravity of leaving for the war effort on this anniversary.

More Utah National Guard soldiers are on their way to Iraq; to fight a war that has become increasingly unpopular in the five years since terrorists attacked the United States.

This anniversary has not diminished their resolve, but has given soldiers much to think about.

1st Lt. Sean Pearson, 141 Military Intelligence Battalion: "It gives me time to reflect on the global war on terrorism that we're engaged in currently. It's a time of reflection and time to renew our commitment."

The commitment for these soldiers will last fifteen months. Families try to prepare for more than a year apart.

Angie Pearson, Husband deployed to Iraq: "It's sad, but I'm really proud of him. We'll miss each other a lot but it's a year and we'll get through it. I'm proud of him and excited for him."

John Shepherd, daughter deployed to Iraq: "I'm not real happy my daughter's going to be a part of it. I'm proud, but not real happy."

For some it may be the first time to leave.

1st Lt. Sean Pearson, 141 Military Intelligence Battalion: "Just gonna miss hanging out with my wife and my baby and watching her grow."

Sgt Mary Shepherd, 141 Military Battalion: "All my family is here."

For some, it is the third time saying goodbye.

Sgt Greg Mietzner, Deployed to Iraq: "I'll be leaving my baby of eight months and leaving a lot of friends."

Read the rest at KSL 5

Note: Due to problems with blogger we were unable to post news of deployments and returns for the last 10 days. This post is part of the update from that period.