Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Jimy M. Malone dies 'of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle'

Staring at a picture of her husband and their five month old daughter, Leslie Malone sees a strong resemblance.

"I think even more so now, she looks just like him. When I look at her, I see him," says Leslie.

Growing up in the small town of Wills Point, Leslie says she knew Jimy for as long as she can remember. One night after church, Jimy asked the then 16 year old for ride home.

"We sat out in the truck in front of his dad's house for quite a while, and when he came in Marty asked him 'Who was that?' And he said, 'That's the girl I'm going to marry'," Leslie said.

Jimy's family says he had a contagious love for the Army which he passed on to his younger brother. Six months ago, 20 year old Marcus Malone enlisted, and is now serving in the same cavalry out of Fort Hood.

"I will go, and I will do what my brother started and believed in and loved, and what I believe in and love," Marcus said.

Jimy was in Iraq in January when he found out Leslie had delivered little Reagan. Soon after, he came home on leave, taking advantage of every second he could get with their daughter.

"One night, I woke up early in the morning, and I went into the living room and asked, 'Why are you still up?' And he said, 'Well, I knew if I went to bed, I wouldn't hear Reagan, and I wanted to do it all," Leslie said.

"I've never known anyone who could 'GI' a diaper, but he could. I mean, it was perfect. The tabs were straight. The ruffles were out," she said with a laugh.

Leslie also said when Reagan is older, she will tell her how much her father loved her, and that he died trying to protect her.

From KLTV 7