Friday, March 30, 2007

Ryan Green laid to rest

Fallen Army Sergeant Ryan Green was laid to rest Monday.

Funeral services for the 24-year-old from The Woodlands began at 11 a.m.

Sergeant Green died March 18 from injuries he suffered after a bomb exploded near his unit while on combat patrol in Baghdad, Iraq.

Sgt. Ryan Patrick Green was described as a patriot who enlisted in the military the day after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Last week Sgt. Green’s mother, Linda Kagan, issued a written statement about her son:

“My son, Sgt. Ryan Patrick Green, was an incredible gift, and he impacted many lives in his short time with us. He was the light of my life, but such an incredible joy. His greatest gift was his ability to touch those people who came in contact with him—somehow, being wiser than his years could’ve attested to. One Sept. 12, 2001, the day after 9/11, he showed up at my door and expressed his desire to immediately join the armed forces. But he needed my permission to do so … Not because he was too young to join, but because he wanted to make sure that I was OK with that. What he didn’t know was that when I heard about 9/11 (the day of), I knew that was exactly what he was going to do. I was blessed with the insight on that day, that all the guys in service are someone’s son, and that I didn’t have the right to hold him back if this was what he desired. Not once have I ever regretted his decision. My family was brought up believe that it was God, country and family – in that order. The Army made my already terrific son a better son … And over the years I have been proud to be able to step back and look at him with a pride that surpasses anything that I could have ever imagined. God Bless America and our fine people who volunteer so proudly to serve her.”

Sgt. Green was the 70th serviceperson from the area to give his life fighting the War on Terror.

Read the rest at KHOU

Related Link:
Ryan P. Green dies of injuries from I.E.D.