Friday, March 30, 2007

Marcus A. Golczynski killed during combat operations

MURFREESBORO — "We are warriors," Marine Sgt. Marcus "Marc" Golczynski wrote in a recent e-mail to his family.

"And as warriors have before us, we joined … and are following orders because we believe what we are doing is right. Many of us volunteered to do this a second time due to our deep desire to finish the job we started. We fight and sometimes die, so our families don't have to."

Golczynski, 30, was to come home by Easter. He died Tuesday after he was shot while on patrol in Fallujah, a hot spot of insurgent activity.

Also known as "Sergeant Ski," Golczynski was assigned to Marine Forces Reserve's 3rd Battalion, 24th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division, based in Nashville.

The official military account says he was shot in the abdomen by enemy forces while conducting a dismounted patrol in the Al Anbar province.

He was taken to Fallujah Surgical for treatment, where he died. The report said Golczynski was wearing body armor and a Kevlar helmet when he was shot.

He is the son of Elaine Huffines of Lewisburg and Henry Golczynski of Murfreesboro. Fay and Henry Golczynski, owners of Franklin Printworks in Murfreesboro, received the news late Tuesday.

Sgt. Golczynski had an 8-year-old son who lives with his mother in Maryland.

"He was truly a family man," said John Weatherspoon, who works at Franklin Printworks. "He loved his son, his family and his friends."

Weatherspoon spoke with the Marine a week ago.

He said Golczynski was in good spirits and was eager to come home.

"But we also talked about how, even if he didn't make it, he knew he was doing the right thing," Weatherspoon said. "He didn't have any regrets."

Marilyn Shelton, who also works at Franklin Printworks, said he was a "gung-ho Marine" and a patriot but also someone who made the workday easier for those around him.

"He made the day light," Shelton said. "Everything was fun with Marc."

Diane Borella, who worked with Golczynski at a Ruby Tuesday restaurant in Smyrna, where he was a manager, said he was a joy to be around and always had a smile on his face.

When he came home from Iraq after his first tour, he wanted to return to continue the fight, she said.

"He said it was like (when you) don't finish your shift here at Ruby Tuesday's, because your work was not done yet," Borella said.

Golczynski is the fifth Rutherford County resident killed in the war and the 70th Tennessean service member.

From the Tennssean