Saturday, December 23, 2006

Seth Stanton remembered

(CBS4) COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. A mother in Colorado City remembers her son as brave, honorable man who gave his life serving his country.

Seth Stanton, 19, died Sunday from injuries he suffered in an IED attack in Iraq. Ann Stanton shared the email she sent to her family and friends honoring her son.

Stanton said the military first contacted her Saturday afternoon, saying Seth had been injured and was listed in serious but stable condition. The next morning things changed.

"A knock on the door Sunday morning changed my world forever," she wrote.

"Two uniformed officers were there ... please, God .. no. As I listened to the news that my 19-year-old son, my brave, strong son ... my baby had died in Iraq earlier that morning, everything became a blur.

You can only imagine the horror as all of this began hitting ... the questions regarding his being stable and ok. My heart is broken for this fallen soldier ... I will miss him so much. He was the apple of my eye, as are my other two boys."

Anna Stanton went on to thank everyone for their love and support.

She signs the email "Proud mom of a fallen soldier ... a brave war hero... my precious angel, Seth."

And Anna Stanton is clearly a proud mother. Just last week she sent a picture of her son sitting in his tank at sunrise to our affiliate in Colorado Springs. The caption he put on that photograph, "This is me, at 5 a.m., protecting those who sleep." That picture aired in Colorado Springs just days before Stanton died in the war.

Seth Stanton had only been in Iraq for 8 weeks and was about a year out of boot camp.

From CBS 4

Related Link:
Seth M. Stanton dies of injuries from I.E.D.