Saturday, September 02, 2006

Marion County state representative candidate called for duty in Iraq


OCALA - James Walker, the Democratic hopeful in the race against incumbent Republican Dennis Baxley of Ocala for Florida House District 24, has been called to serve in Iraq.

"I just got the orders today, delivered by Federal Express," Walker said Friday afternoon. "I always knew it was a possibility, but it's a complete surprise."

Neither Walker, of Ocala, nor Baxley have opposition in their respective parties, so their names will not appear on the ballot in Tuesday's primary.

But, should Walker choose to leave his hat in the ring, he and Baxley would face off in the Nov. 7 general election.

"I have not made up my mind as to whether I would withdraw or leave my name on the ballot to give the voters a choice," Walker said. "I will talk to my family about it and talk to some of the people in Tallahassee and people on the campaign staff. I don't want to short-change the voter, knowing that I am going. But, at the same time, I think Marion County would be better off without Dennis Baxley."

Read the rest at the Gainesville Sun

RELATED LINK: James Walker for Florida