Friday, September 29, 2006

Gabriel DeRoo remembered, laid to rest

KALAMAZOO - Several hundred people came together last Saturday at Calvary Bible Church in Kalamazoo to pay tribute to a Paw Paw native soldier killed in action in Iraq Aug. 20.

Sgt. Gabriel DeRoo was remembered by his wife, Hannah, as a "man of conviction," as he grew in his faith with God.

"From the time that I first met him when he came to Washington, to the time that he died, he grew so much as a person. He grew so much as a Christian man, becoming a Godly man....I feel so blessed that I got to spend that time with him. He really developed as a man of conviction," she said.

"He touched everyone," said Hannah. "There were women that would come to me and say, 'I wish my husband was like yours.'"

"Gabriel cared about guys. He wanted to be a good example. He looked forward to his family, the soldiers that he worked with, guys in his unit," said Hannah.

She added, "Even in his death, he wanted God to be glorified."

Hannah said, "We really trusted God. It brought so much peace into our hearts."

She recalled him saying, ''If something happens, just remember, God is still in control.''

Hannah said, "When the chaplains came to my door, I knew right away that God was still in control, and knew Gabe was gone."

She added, "I know He's (God) still in control now. I know He'll do great things if we trust him," she added.

"Everyone got along with Gabe.....I know his life has touched a lot of lives. I know that is exactly what he would want. That's what he would want for the guys back in Iraq, too. He would want them to come and know Christ," she said.

Sgt. DeRoo's sister, Chastity, said her brother had a positive attitude and was not a complainer.

"I never heard him complain about anything. He always had a way of saying there was something good in everything that had to be done."

She added, "He made me so proud of him."

DeRoo's mother, Laura, spoke of her son with pride. "Gabriel accomplished so much in such a short time he was here on earth," she said.

She added, "Gabriel had a vision for what he wanted out of a military career. He developed a plan to reach his goal by a certain time, and then worked hard until that goal became a reality."

His father, David, expressed thanks to everyone who had sent food, flowers, cards, phone calls and prayers. "We thank you."

DeRoo held up a Christmas card from his son that was given to him in 2004. A note in it read, "I couldn't ask for a better pop. The card reminds me of you and me when you forced me to work with you...I love you, dad."

David's remark brought a chuckle from those attending the service.

Prior to the start of the memorial service, Patriot Guard Riders lined the entrance to the church, located on Drake Road, with 138 people, many carrying U.S. flags, and had traveled from across the state and Indiana, according to Zach Chandler, assistant state captain.

Read the rest at the Courier Leader