Thursday, August 16, 2007

Shawn D. Hensel dies 'of wounds during an enemy attack'

A Cass County family is mourning the loss of a soldier killed in Iraq. The 20,000 people who live in Logansport have just lost one of their own.

"I think he was an adventurous young man. I think he wanted to see the world, and just get out there and prove himself," said Logansport High School Teacher John Morgan.

Morgan taught social studies to Shawn Hensel at Logansport High. Shawn left school early, got a GED and enlisted in the Army. He married Laci Harmon last December and in April, the 20-year-old went to Iraq.

Shawn died Monday night after being caught in crossfire. He is the first soldier from Logansport to die in this war.

"I've never had a friend die like this. Now I know. It's kind of hard. Not fun to go through," said Sean Albin.

It is not easy for Shawn's mother to stop crying.

"I can stop for a second, and that's about it. Because I miss him so bad. Every time I talked to him on the phone, he'd say, 'I love you, Mom,'" Beth Hensel said.

Shawn's father hopes people remember one thing about his son.

"I just want everybody to remember that he served his country and he was proud to be a soldier. He loved it," David Hensel said.

Shawn would have come home from Iraq next July had enemy crossfire not brought him home sooner.

From WISH 8