Saturday, July 14, 2007

Soldier pays to get shot in leg to avoid Iraq

Jonathan Aponte

The war in Iraq was such hell for Bronx soldier Jonathan Aponte he decided he'd never go back again - no matter what.

"I have nightmares all the time. I hear people screaming, gunshots, explosions, and I can smell burning flesh in my dreams," the 20-year-old told the Daily News yesterday as he fought back tears.

Rather than endure another tour of trauma, authorities say, Aponte hired a hit man to shoot him in the leg so he could stay home...

The tall and handsome Aponte, who's on leave after 10 months in Iraq, said, "I was not going back one way or another. Some people can handle it mentally, but some can't. You have to know when to say enough is enough"...

"I was desperate to stay home and at the end of my rope," Aponte said. "I couldn't deal with being in Iraq anymore. Would I risk going to prison? As far as being shot at, I think it's better."

Read the rest at the NY Daily News