Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Ebe Emolo remembered

Although he wasn't born in this country, friends say Ebe Emolo was proud to answer the call of duty because he was proud to be an American citizen.

Emolo, a native of the Ivory Coast, joined the army in February 2005 after working as a security officer at the Women's Hospital in Greensboro, N.C. for a year.

On Saturday, Emolo and three other soldiers with the 82nd Airborne Division were killed by a roadside bomb while on patrol in Iraq.

Floyd Rollins, who was Emolo's supervisor at the hospital, described his former charge as dedicated to his job and proud to be an American.

"One of the last things I remember talking to him about before he left us to join the service is, 'Floyd, I want to be a good soldier,'" recalled Rollins. "He was very proud to be an American citizen."

After learning of Emolo's death, Rollins lowered the flag at the hospital to honor his fallen friend.

"I remember telling him, 'When you get out of the service, I hope you come back here.' He said, 'I'd love to,'" said Rollins.

Emolo is survived by his wife, sister and a young son.

From WGHP 8

Related Link:
Ebe F. Emolo dies of injuries from I.E.D.