Saturday, April 14, 2007

Bradley King laid to rest

One by one, by air, by car, and by bike, they came... all to remember 28-year-old Staff Sergeant Bradley King.

"My husband is in the army, and last year worked with King at Marion," says military wife Natalie Thoman.

Military officials say King died last Tuesday from injuries suffered from an Improvised Explosive Device or IED. Thursday morning, hundreds gathered at Marion's Sunnycrest Baptist Church to say goodbye.

"Brad was just real humble and great, and over Christmas, my husband got an e-mail from him, telling him to just worry about our family, and to have a good Christmas with them, and that he'd be home soon," says Thoman.

Governor Daniels flew in for the funeral from Indianapolis, while others arrived in less weather-friendly fashion: despite winter-like weather, nearly 75 Patriot Guard Riders came out for Thursday's services. For one rider, this type of activity helps keep the memory of his son alive.

"It does take me back... it really is hard for me to do, its tough, but it helps me get through, because I feel like if I can do anything at all for one of those other families, I'm going to be there. I'm going to be there to help that family," says Terry McCray of the Patriot Guard Riders.

McCray's son was the first Indiana soldier to die from the War in Iraq. He hopes his presence helps the King family find solace, something that wasn't easy for McCray.

"The only resolve we had during the whole time was knowing he died doing what he believed in. He truly believed in his country and that's what he died for, and he gave us our freedom," says McCray.

That's something Staff Sergeant Bradley King also gave to his fellow Americans. King leaves behind a wife and 15-month-old son.

From WANE 15

Related Link:
Bradley D. King dies of injuries from I.E.D.