Sunday, February 04, 2007

Allen Jaynes laid to rest

It's been two weeks since Private First Class Allen Brenton Jaynes, 21 was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq. A 2005 graduate of Brownsboro, Jaynes joined the military right after high school.

The American flag lined the First Baptist Church in Athens Saturday. Members of the Patriot Guard Riders, an organization that honors fallen soldiers, stood outside the church for support.

"We've probably got people coming from as far away as Austin, Dallas and Houston," said Doug Smith, East Texas Deputy State Captain for Patriot Guard Riders. "We have about 75 people here today."

"When I walked up to the church for the first time with all the flags and everything I was like oh my gosh, this is for him," said Ashley Raiford, Jaynes' girlfriend. "It was pretty crazy, but I'm proud of him. I'm sad that he's gone, but I'm so proud." At the cemetery, family and friends were met with full military honors, including the 18 gun salute and playing of the taps.

"When he left he told me, he said don't cry don't be sad," said Raiford. "'I'm going for you. I'm going to protect you', so it meant protecting everybody that he loved."

"Ever since he first started talking about going into the military, he had high hopes and everything about it," said Nick Dye, Jaynes' cousin. As they said goodbye, those that know Jaynes best say they want everyone to remember the sacrifice he made for the country.

"He died for them," said Raiford. "He died for their freedom and remember that he was a hero, and that everybody should have a special place for them." Jaynes is survived by his mother, brother and sister.

From KLTV 7

Related Link:
Allen B. Jaynes dies of injuries from I.E.D.