Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Perspective: 'I'm 11 years old... Since last September, three of my classmates have been kidnapped and two have been killed'

A man removes a bloodied schoolbook at a school gate following a mortar attack Sunday which killed 5 schoolgirls in Baghdad

BAGHDAD, 29 January (IRIN) - "I'm 11 years old and an only son. I'm a pupil at Mansour Primary School in Baghdad. Lately, I have been feeling very lonely in my class. This week, I was the only student in class because all my classmates didn't come to school for various reasons.

"Since last September, three of my classmates have been kidnapped and two have been killed. One was murdered with his family at home and the other was a victim of a bomb explosion a month ago.

"The others have either fled to Jordan and Syria with their families or their relatives have prohibited them from coming to school for fear that something might happen to them.

"I live very close to my school. I can walk there in two minutes. My mother takes me there and picks me up every day. She prays all the way to school and all the way back and tells me not to be scared. She says that at least I'm studying and one day I can be an important man and leave Iraq forever.

Read the rest at Reuters/Alternet