Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Jonathan P. C. Kingman dies of injuries from I.E.D.

Army Sergeant Jonathan Paul Kingman was supposed to turn 22 this spring and return home to his wife and three children. But his family's plans were shattered this weekend; the Sergeant was killed in Iraq on Saturday.

"It seems like I'm living a dream and I can't wake up," says Kingman's mother, Margaret Kingman who couldn't help but shed tears when talking about her son. "It's like a bad nightmare. I want him back so bad."

Kingman grew up in Shelby, enlisting in the Army at 17. Months later he married his high school sweetheart from Ashland, and they started a family.

"It kind of broke my heart, because I didn't want to let him go," says Margaret. But she says he became a wonderful father, husband, and soldier.

"I'm proud of him, very proud of him and what he was doing. He died with honors."

The Army is not releasing where in Iraq Kingman was killed, or how he died. But his family says he was doing what he loved.

"He knew the sacrifice he would have to make, he knew," says Kingman's sister, Elizabeth Kingman. "He was just so proud to do this for his country."

But even though Kingman knew his sacrifice his family wasn't ready for the knock on their door. Margaret Kingman wants to make sure no other family has to hear it.

"I think there are enough soldiers who've already died," says Margaret. "I think they should come home now."

Jonathan Paul Kingman graduated from Mapleton High School in 2003. Funeral arrangements are not yet been made.

From WKYC 23