Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Ricky McGinnis remembered by nephew

It was a week ago Private Joey Isaacs, of Fairfield Township, while serving in Iraq, learned that his father was injured in a horrific accident here in the Tri-state.

Then days later his uncle, First Sgt. Ricky McGinnis, was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq.

Private Isaacs arrived in the Tri-state this afternoon to visit his father at University Hospital in Cincinnati.

Isaacs' father Joe is at University Hospital with two crushed legs after a semi truck crashed into him last Tuesday.

And while he visits his father, Isaacs must now prepare for the funeral of his uncle.

And in two weeks, he will be back in Iraq.

It was Tuesday when Joe Isaacs stopped to help a woman who lost what she was hauling on the roadway.

"He was helping her pick it back on the truck," said his Pvt. Isaacs. "A semi-truck came around the corner too fast, lost control, smashed him between the semi and his truck -- and drug them both down the road."

Isaacs' father's legs were crushed and it was feared that he would lose them both.

His uncle, First Sergeant Ricky McGinnis went to talk to his nephew.

"The last time I saw my uncle, he came to my barracks to visit me," Issacs recalled, "because I was having a rough time with my dad, his accident."

"He came in and he told me he was there for me, I could come talk to him -- be strong, to keep doing my job, and that he loved me -- and he gave me a 'hooah!,' which is the Army saying."

"Hooah," for soldiers -- it symbolizes their esprit de corps -- and that is what Issacs says his uncle had, and then some.

"I tried to call him across the radio to see if he wanted to go to dinner and they said he was on patrol," said Issacs.

"Then about 10 to 15 minutes later, it came across the radio that someone in his troop was hit by an IED," said Issacs, "and they pulled me out of the room."

Isaacs would later learn that his uncle, who actually served in the same squadron, had been wounded. Wounds that would later claim his life.

"What makes it worse is just seeing my Mom, the way she is and that's the hardest part for me," said Issacs. "That's why I'm glad I'm home now, so I can take care of my Mom."

And while Private Isaacs says he'll stay strong for his family, he says they could use a few prayers.

"My family is going through a very rough time and God's been there with us," said Issacs.

"God saved my dad, and my uncle's with God now," said Issacs. "So, nd he's in a much better place than where we were."

9News has learned that physicians were able to save the legs of his father, Joe Isaacs, and that they are hoping for a complete recovery, but it will take months.

From WCPO 9

Related Link:
Ricky L. McGinnis dies from roadside bomb injuries